Welcome to Mosman Football Club – celebrating 50 years of community football in 2017
We aim to provide a safe, fun and positive environment for players and coaches of all ages and abilities to enjoy football and reach their potential.
Mosman Football Club (MFC) is a community-based, sporting organisation, catering for girls, boys, men and women from ages 5 to more than 50 years. From humble beginnings when Merv Mancer, Dr Kunz and Elisabeth Stuart started the Mosman Junior Soccer Club in 1967, we now have around 1400 players in our winter competition and more than 1000 in our summer 5-a-side competition. We are the largest sporting organisation in Mosman and one of the larger amateur sports clubs in Australia.
MFC is one of 17 clubs comprising the Manly Warringah Football Association (MWFA), and is affiliated with Football Federation Australia. MWFA covers the northern beaches from Mosman to Avalon. We play home games at Allan Border Oval, Middle Head Oval, Georges Heights Oval, Balmoral Oval and Spit Reserve. Juniors (mixed boys and girls) and mens matches are generally played on Saturdays and the girls (only) and ladies matches are played on Sundays.
To help encourage our younger players, we offer an Academy for talented kids from U9 to U13 players and school holiday camps which are open to boys and girls aged 6-14. In late 2013, we launched a Girls Academy and now have U9, U11 and U13 Girls Academy teams.
We support our coaches and referees by providing training and, in conjunction with MWFA, provide free grassroots coaching training for parents and amateur coaches so they can more effectively assist their kids get the most out of training sessions. For coaches working with older kids and adults, there are more advanced courses available and MFC may subsidise the cost of a course (subject to approval by the Director of Coaching).
Winter Season: For the winter season, which runs from early April to August, we enter teams in the following competitions:
• MiniRoos (mixed) – under 6 to under 11
• Youth (mixed) – under 12 to under 18
• Junior ladies – under 8 to under 18
• Men’s and Women’s Premiership
• All Age Seniors – Men and Women
• Over 35 – Men and Ladies
Over 45 – Men
Summer Season: We also run our own 5-a-side competition over the summer at Georges Heights Oval on Monday and Wednesday afternoons/evenings. For the 2016-17 summer season, we had more than 1000 players participating from U6 to open men and women.
As a community club we
- require members to exhibit good sportsmanship at all times towards players, officials and supporters
- encourage players to showcase their individual talents while contributing to the good of the team and club
- view winning as an important goal; but focus on performance, improvement and enjoyment
- support coaches with training and resources to develop not only their teams but themselves as coaches
- rely on members volunteering their time and appreciate their efforts
- support our local community as well as have its support
Style of Play
- Play an effective, possession-based passing game
- Build play from the back and work the ball into the attacking third
- Be adept both with and without the ball in 1 v 1 situations
- Receive and play in tight areas while developing an understanding of when and where it is appropriate to do so
- Develop well-rounded football players in an environment which teaches respect, humility, integrity, reward through effort, and fair play at all times
- Encourage players to judge and be satisfied by their own level of mastery, improvement and performance rather than judge against others
- Use a guided-learning approach encouraging players to ask questions and understand not just ‘what’ and ‘how’, but also ‘where’, ‘why’ and ‘when’
- View mistakes as steppingstones to achievement
- Correct mistakes with specific, future-oriented instruction
- Provide a learning environment where ALL levels of players will enjoy their football experience and provide a pathway for our most talented and dedicated players to play at the highest level
We are always delighted to welcome new members to our club and ask that you contact the relevant Vice President to register your interest.
MFC is led by a committed team of volunteers, united by our love of football and keen to promote the many health, educational and cultural benefits of team sport for ourselves and our children. Please remember in your communication with us that we are generally volunteering our time freely and may not always be able to respond as rapidly as we would like and therefore appreciate your patience and politeness.